Monday, April 16, 2007

The Journey: Leaving Thoughts

I thought it would be more difficult for Carol to leave Springfield than me. She was born and raised in the city, attended grammar and High School there. Grew up in a neighborhood of Italians, Jewish, and Black families. Involved in civic, community, and political activities. She was considered a successful black person by family and friends. Yet, it was she that suggested leaving Springfield.

I had a more difficult time leaving. It took me a while to understand. I was a state brat, born in Quincy, raised in Peoria and Chicago, Illinois. Joined the Navy traveled to strange and exotic lands. I was use to leaving. I had people love me, but not around me to form a support group since I was seventeen years old. Just me, my mind, heart, and soul. I faced the world on my own among strangers. Along the way, I was blessed to have people enter my life with guidance. Not many, but they showed up when I needed a clear thought. I had worked at job since I was twelve years old.

Now I was going to quit my good job, take everything from our beautiful apartment sell or give it away if it did fit in a small car? Find a better life in another city we had never been? This was more than leaving! This was giving up everything that defined who we were. For what? That was the question we had to answer. Carol resigned her position. It took me a month to resign.

What will happen to us was an unknown, but it was the only option in our known world to discover different paths.

No comments: