Sunday, October 28, 2007

Thought note: Food ingredients?

I remember when food was simply mixtures of ingredients like flour, milk, sugar, and eggs. You cooked them, sat down and ate your meal. Now I am not a TV chef with recipes from around the country and abroad. I am the chef in my house and I do cook from scratch, using basic ingredients. If I eat out and enjoy a dish that tastes good I will go home and find the recipe on the internet and cook it at home. In my house we eat very few prepared foods from the grocery store.

I understand that today lifestyle moves at faster pace that when I was younger. Both mothers and fathers have to work to make ends look like they meet. Everyone is doing more to fill up the time in their lives. Kids have schedules that rival their parents. It is not just filling up all available time. It is the rushing to do it fast as possible. No matter fast the movement, there is never enough time. We feed with quick spurts to get something in the stomach. The microwave oven has become the major appliance in a kitchen. Our food ingredients reflect this pace of life. They have become chemical compounds designed in labs.

I don’t understand what is advertised as ingredients in food. You need a scientist to explain what they are. Corn maltodextrin, hydrolyzed soy and wheat gluten protein, sodium acid pyrophosphate, monoglycerides, sodium sulfites and sodium bisulfites (preservatives), disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate, sodium phosphate, calcium phosphate, yellow 5 and yellow 6 are ingredients. What food group they belong to? I have a sense that ingredients in today’s prepared foods are for the time they spend on shelves. But I’m sure that some government agency said it is okay for human consumption which I think means it’s okay to eat

No comments: